Pages

Monday, August 11, 2014

Masking the Moment

This story is written for VisDare, a weekly prompt challenge hosted by Angela Goff. 

This story--much like my previous story for Visdare--also includes a mask, only it's not so dark this time. Weird, I know.


Photo Source

"Mommy, why does Daddy wear a mask in the garden?" Becky asked.

"That's just so he doesn't get sick, honey?"

"But you never wear a mask when you're in the garden."

"That's because I'm not allergic."

"Is being allergic a bad thing?"

"Yes, it can be a very bad thing if you're not careful."

Becky shifted her attention toward the stairway, trying to make sense of what she'd seen the night before, then looked at her mother again curiously. "Mommy?"

"Yes, honey?"

"Is Daddy allergic to you?"

"Of course not. Why would you ask me such a thing?"

Becky shrugged. "After I went to get a drink of water last night, I saw him coming out of your bedroom with the mask on. He said he was just playing a game with you."

Becky's mother blushed and raised an index. "That's enough, Becky. Go and wash up for dinner."

148 Words




No comments:

Post a Comment